Easy Baked Beans
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
1 15 oz can baked beans (I use vegetarian baked beans but you can use regular)
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can white beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 ⅓ cup water
2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon dry mustard ( or 1 tablespoon dijon mustard)
½ cup tomato puree (or ketchup)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Chop the onion and garlic. Add olive oil to a dutch oven placed over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan and sauteé for 5-7 minutes.
- While the garlic and onion are cooking, gather together the rest of the ingredients.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Add all the ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn off the heat under the beans.
- Place a lid on the pan and put them in a 350 F oven for 1 ½ hours. Stir twice during the hour and a half.
- Carefully remove the pot from the oven. Take the lid off and allow the beans to cool for a bit before serving.
- Allow to cool and store the leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
These also freeze well if you want to make a double batch.