- 1 package kielbasa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 8 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 3 15 oz cans of great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 32 ounce box of low sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 1 x 3 piece of Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 cups kale (torn and washed)
- Slice the kielbasa in half lengthwise and then slice it crosswise. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a stock pot. Add the sliced kielbasa and cook on medium high until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the kiebasa is browned remove it from the pan and set aside. Add the onion, garlic and salt and pepper to the pan and sauté on medium for 3-5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse the white beans and add to the pot. Add the chicken stock, water, rosemary, and Parmesan piece. Bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, remove the ribs from the kale and tear the kale into bite size pieces. Rinse the kale under cold water and add to the soup. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the piece of Parmesan. Taste the soup for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- To cool the soup, carefully transfer it to a large heat proof bowl. Stir occasionally as it cools.
If you want to cook the soup longer, it will enhance the flavor.