These delicious, cinnamon scented apples are cooked on the stove top and make a great topping to my granola. Save some of the cooking liquid to use the next time you make oatmeal!
3 lbs of firm apples (Johnathan or Honeycrisp) peeled, cored and diced
1-2 cinnamon sticks
Squeeze of lemon juice from ½ a lemon
A splash of apple cider if you have some
2 cups of water
- Peel, core and dice the apples
- Place them in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover them. Add 1-2 cinnamon sticks depending on whether you want a subtle or prominent cinnamon flavor.
- Add the lemon juice and apple cider (if you have some).
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once the liquid comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium low and allow the apples to simmer until they’re just cooked and still hold their shape.
- If you prefer the apples to break apart, you can cook them longer.
- Remove the apples from the liquid and allow them to cool.
- Keep the cooking liquid and use it for cooking oatmeal.