For the last episode of Season 1, Anna Lutz & Elizabeth sat down with Anna Mackay. to chat about her master’s research on weight bias and weight stigma, and how both affect all of us, one way or another.
- How internalized weight bias plays a role in the etiology of eating disorders
- What the research tells us about the dangers of internalized weight bias, and specifically how this affects adolescents
- The difference between weight bias and weight stigma
- Subtle vs. obvious examples of weight stigma
- Some steps we can take to examine our own weight bias and the assumptions we make about bodies
- Strategies to identify weight stigma and ways we can begin to decrease the prevalence, especially in schools
- How the atmosphere around food & weight tends to be very Eurocentric and therefore the research often excludes lower SES communities where weight stigma is just as pernicious and harmful as in higher SES communities.