In this week’s episode, Anna & Anna have an important conversation with Lee Beers, MD, FAAP about Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES), and the ways in which mental health is linked with other health issues. Dr. Beers is a Professor of Pediatrics, and the Medical Director for Community Health and Advocacy at Children’s National Hospital. Dr. Beers was also selected by peers in 2019 to serve as the president of the American Academy of Pediatrics president in 2021.
- How children who experience ACES are at risk for long-term chronic health conditions
- The link between eating disorders and ACES
- The idea that a higher BMI may be a confounding factor in poor health outcomes, rather than a cause — how treating the trauma, rather than focusing on weight, could be far more productive
- What dietitians and other health professionals should know about trauma informed care
- The harm of stigmatizing children with higher BMI
- Where the field of pediatrics is headed in terms of health promotion
- The importance of addressing mental and/or behavioral health concerns and improving access to quality care